Gluten Free Veggie Burger Recipe
This is a tasty gluten free veggie burger recipe with lentils, quinoa and mushrooms. The main issue is making sure that the mixture has enough liquid to allow the patties to hold together, without being too mushy:
Write a review
1 hr 2 min
1 hr 2 min
- 1/3 cup red quinoa
- 1/3 cup lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons high heat oil, such as peanut, avocado or rice bran oil (available at Trader Joe’s), plus more for sautéing the patties.
- 1 – 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon Sirachi
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup gluten free bread crumbs. Gluten Free Bread Recipe →
- Cook the quinoa in a medium saucepan in 2/3 cup vegetable broth, until the broth is mostly absorbed, about 15 minutes. Do not drain, but set aside in a bowl to cool and absorb any extra liquid
- In the same saucepan, cook the lentils in the remaining 1 1/3 cup vegetable broth, until the lentils are soft, about 15 minutes. Drain and reserve any extra broth, and add the lentils to the quinoa.
- While the quinoa and lentils are cooking, saute the diced mushrooms with the garlic and onion powder in the 2 tablespoons oil until they are soft. Cool with any extra liquid.
- If the eggs are small use 2, otherwise use 1 egg. Whisk the egg(s) in a large bowl. Add the mushrooms, then the Parmesan Cheese, chives, siracha, quinoa, lentils and black pepper. Add the bread crumbs and mix gently. Let it sit for 10 minutes. At this point, if the mixture is too dry to form patties that hold together, add some of the reserved broth until the mixture holds together when formed into patties.
- Form the mixture into about six patties that are 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat 1 or more tablespoons of the oil in a large non-stick or cast iron pan. Sauté the patties in one or two batches until browned on each side and cooked through.
Food in Atlanta https://foodinatlanta.com/
This recipe makes about 6 veggie burgers. They can be served alone or on buns with cheese and lettuce.