This is an easy and hearty Lentil Soup recipe, vegetarian style, or with the Smoked Andouille Chicken Sausage called for as optional in the recipe. I prefer making it with the Sausage since it gives the soup a hearty smoked flavor.
- 2 Tablespoons oil for sauteing, such as Avocado or Coconut Oil
- 2 Cloves finely chopped Garlic
- 1-2 Tablespoons peeled and finely chopped Ginger
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 Cup finely chopped Onion
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped Carrot
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Kosher or Sea Salt
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Cup Lentils
- 1 Cup chopped Tomatoes
- 6 Ounces Smoked Andouille Chicken Sausage (such as found at Trader Joe’s), cut into 1/8 – 1/4 inch slices
- Heat the oil in an 8 Quart stock pot. When hot, add the Garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the Ginger and saute for 1 more minute. Add a few twists of freshly ground Black Pepper, and continue sauteing for 1 more minute. Lower the heat a bit and add the Onion and the Carrot. Continue to cook until the onion is translucent, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the Cumin Seeds, Smoked Paprika and Turmeric, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes until the spices fill your kitchen with their wonderful aroma.
- Add the Broth, Salt, Lentils, Tomatoes and Sausage, if you are using it.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook until the lentils are tender. Approximately 30 minutes. Check the soup near the end and add more Broth or Water if it has gotten too thick. Serve immediately. Serves at least 4.